Every other year Moonlit Movies has a tradition of throwing a big downtown event. Wizard of Oz in 2006, Harry Potter in 2008, and Pirate Fest in 2010. We hold the record for the largest downtown events in the history of Oconomowoc and each one has grown in size. Well friends, OCOMICON is our gift to you in 2013.
Remember when Nerd was a bad word?
Comicon is the world's largest and wildest annual 4-day nerd fest in sunny San Diego, California. This is where comic book nerds, science fiction nerds Game geeks and other animation aficionado's all come together and celebrate their affinity for nerdism in public. The word geek and nerd are not negative stigmas anymore and and this event is Mecca for any and all as they celebrate the above mentioned as well as other Pop Culture. It is in fact happening right now as I type this in San Diego. So we at Moonlit Movies have decided to play a part in further advancing the "Nerd is Cool" campaign.
OCOMICON is a smaller version of all that you would find at a convention. We are shutting down the entire Downtown area on Wisconsin Avenue and creating a fun and free venue for kids and adults alike. It is two full city blocks of fun actually. Here are some of the highlights.
- GIANT MOVIE SCREEN: Our trademark movie screen (65' of elevated greatness) where at dusk (roughly 8:40pm) we will show the movie...... THE AVENGERS! Note rating and read last paragraph titled "Caveat" at the bottom of the page.
- BAND STAGE: On the corner of Wisconsin Avenue & Main Street we will have our band stage. The band is Natty Nation, a very well known Summerfest draw with a huge following and a cool summertime vibe. Having played all over the world and a regular at Summerfest, we find them to be a great and high energy addition for our event. Read more about them at: www.NattyNation.com
- CIRCUS TENT O'COMICS: Our friends at Kowabunga Comics in downtown have helped us to master mind this. On the Village Green Park we will have a large circus tent filled with over ten Comic Book Artists. They will be constructing a life-size comic book live at the event and the panels will be amongst the other prizes given away that day. We will also have a team of Super Heroes and a popular car in the tent as well. Come hang out with Supers and Artists as they draw live. Need a hint as to one of the artists? He was one of the original artists from The Walking Dead comic series.
- GIANT/GARGANTUAN BOUNCY: We will have a giant over-sized inflatable for the kids behind the band stage at Four Corners as well run by our philanthropy The Area Food Pantry of Oconomowoc. So bring a non-perishable food donation as well.
- MORE BOUNCY HOUSES AND ACTIVITIES: Down on St. Paul Street in front of City Hall we will have many smaller bounce houses, activity stations and games set up for the smaller kids.
- LOTS OF COSTUMED CHARACTERS: Multiple Costumed Characters! I can't say too much here guys, but I will tell you this, we spent money to have some really cool additions to this area. Add that to those who will come in costume and you have the making for great fun and greater pictures, so bring your cameras.
- PRIZE AND GOODY GIVEAWAYS: Our wonderful sponsors and other community supporters will also be set up at multifarious locations giving away fun prizes and hand outs to kids for free!
- FOOD: Food Vendors will be situated at the Chase Bank Paring lot, headed by our good friends and sponsor Buddy's. We will also have a roasted candied nut vendor as seen at The German Christmas Market of Oconomowoc.
- SHOPS OF DOWNTOWN: The Downtown Oconomowoc Business Association is also hosting a super fun activity that you won't want to miss as well as getting their businesses involved in diferent ways!
- PHILANTHROPY: Soda, Water and Popcicles will be sold at three stations along the street to raise money for a real Iron Man named Alex. Visit his page at www.IamIronMan.org
- COSTUME CONTESTS: We will have a couple contests actually. They will be held on the band stage and in front of our crowd during the band's break at 6:15pm. We will have four categories. See our page above for details.
4:30pm Event Begins
5:00Pm PROFESIONAL Costume ACTORS BEgin walking street
5:15pm Band Natty Nation Plays on Main Stage
6:15pm Costume Contest Main Stage
6:55pm Natty Nation Returns
8:30pm Movie Begins on 65' Screen
11:30pm Event Ends
I'M SO EXCITED. HOW DO I PREPARE?
We want you to be happy and comfortable. We are highly encouraging you and kids to wear costumes.
We would like for you to remember our two philanthropies this year.
- Bring Seating if you are staying for the movie, beit blanket, or chairs
- The Food Pantry of Oconomowoc - Bring them a non-perishable food donation or donate onsite
- The Iron Man Fund - Buy drinks from their stations at the event and donate to help them
So we realize that this event may not be for everyone. We try to experiment with different stylings from year to year and meet different fan demographics. We know there will be a hand full of people that will object to our movie choice and say that a PG-13 movie is pushing it. Need we remind the "ney sayers" that we are in our eighth season and many on the board are parents. There is fun to be had here for all ages and if you choose to take your kids home before the movie we understand and respect the decision. We ask you to respect our decision too. This movie for the most part is about Super Heroes and has strong action scenes. Remember that the giant crowd of 10,000 people gathered in the streets really change the feeling of a movie. More times than not kids will find themselves enthralled as much by the fact that they are a part of this giant crowd gathered in the street watching a cool movie. Again, the choice is yours to make. Also note that costumed characters can come in all shapes and sizes. We have invited Sci Fi Types, Zombies, Robots, Super Heroes and much more as well as those creative types that will come in their own costumes. We are asking the public to exercise some restraint in costumes that may border inappropriate, but in the same breath ask those with the inclination to criticize the event or come with a moral soap box to opt out of attending.
In the end though, it is all good fun and much like the Pirates at Pirate Fest in 2011, we expect the overall experience to be delicious! Let's also remind you that the general admittance to the event is free to the public and your kids will get lots of freebies!